Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Megalodon Mania


Megalodon means "big tooth" in Greek. The Megalodon Carcharodon Shark was a giant shark that lived about 18 million years ago and became extinct roughly 1.5 million years ago. The Megalodon could grow over 50 feet long. Today's Great White Shark, a relative of the Megalodon, can grow to around 20 feet.

Fifty million years ago Florida's sea levels rose and fell many times. The fossilized remains of both land and sea animals can be found together along Florida rivers. I plan on visiting one of those fossil-filled rivers in hopes of bringing up a well preserved Megalodon Shark's tooth or maybe even a mastodon tooth.

When we were building our house we had to have a well dug. During the drilling process a small, fossilized shark's tooth was brought up from the ancient riverbed. I was instantly bitten by the Florida fossil-hunting bug (we have some fossils from Oklahoma and Texas). I count myself fortunate to live where fossils are just waiting to be unearthed.

The picture above shows Megalodon teeth that others have found and have given to us. I want to be the one who finds the teeth. I want the thrill of the hunt and the adrenaline rush of uncovering a fossil that has been buried for millions of years. I want to hold that fossil in my hands and imagine the life of the creature that left it behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment