Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Old Dog, New Tricks


Yam has learned how to knit and she tried to show me how to a while back. For Christmas, I asked Yam for the same knitting kit she learned on. She got me the Mini Scarf D.I.Y. Kit from Loopy Mango. The kit was for the absolute beginner and according to the box, 1-8 years old and one hour to complete. Now the pressure was on for me to succeed.


The wool was 100%, #5, Merino Wool and there was 37 yards of it. The kit came with 15mm knitting needles. The instruction card within the box said to "cast on" 5 stitches. I watched a video lesson on how to cast on and how to begin knitting.

I cast on, began knitting, and restarted a few times before setting aside my needles and yarn to wait for Yam to come over on New Year's Eve to give me a lesson in person. She set me straight right away.

After dinner, we chatted and watched some television before Yam began my lesson. Once I got the hang of it, I knitted away as Yam, The Colonel and I waited for the new year to arrive (they continued to watch television...I had to keep my eyes on my work).


I did not get my scarf done before the ball dropped in Time's Square. I finished it the next evening after dinner. Yam said I could tell everyone that it took me 2 years to finish my scarf...which I guess is technically correct (one-hour completion time my arse).


Once I neared the end of my mini scarf, it was time to watch another video online. I had to learn how to cast off my scarf from the needles. Yam sent me a link to a video that showed me how to cast off. I watched it and I think I kind of did it correctly...at least my scarf is complete and off the needles. The ends of my scarf may look a bit rough and unorthodox though.




I enjoyed knitting my mini scarf. I am looking forward to doing more knitting. Thanks again for my Christmas gift Yam!

No comments:

Post a Comment