Monday, May 4, 2020

A Study in Sea Grape Foliage


I have been creating more art since the COVID-19 pandemic has caused me to become increasingly housebound. I am re-reading the book entitled, Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards and have been doing the exercises. I am realistic in knowing I will never become a Degas or a Wyeth (nor do I want to), but at least I can improve upon my drawing ability and my personal style.

I recently worked on a study of sea grape leaves. Sea grape trees grow around here and The Colonel have made jelly from the fruit.

My first sea grape leaves study was done en plein air. I used acrylic paints on a Gessoed board.


My next study was done with felt-tip markers on white drawing paper. I used one of my favorite artistic styles called Pointillism (painting or drawing with small, distinct, dots of color to form an image).


In 1978, I won a 4-H Reserve Grand Champion ribbon at the Indiana State Fair for a Pointillism piece I created while in high school. It was this picture of red and green peppers.


My final sea grape leaves study was a watercolor. I have not done much watercolor work in the past and I would like to do more.


Working on this blog post makes me want to get back to my drawing and painting...with this pandemic still raging on, looks like I will have plenty of time to do so.

1 comment:

  1. I have always admired my sisters' artistic talents. Maybe, by completing my study of Drawing from the Right Side of the Brain, I'll discover that I, too, am like my artistic siblings. Jenn

    ReplyDelete