Friday, October 16, 2009

Ah-Ha

When I was a kid I could not understand what all the hoopla was about when it came to Kool-Aid. Why did the kids on and off television act as if Kool-Aid was the best thing in the universe to quench one's thirst? I did not think so. It did not seem to be sweet enough for my youthful palate.

My mom would make Kool-Aid once in a while. She did not make it often because 2 quarts of the stuff did not last long when eight kids were drinking it.

One day I went to a friend's house for lunch. We had bologna sandwiches on Wonder Bread, potato chips from a canister and a very delicious, sweet drink. After one sip I asked her what we were drinking and she said Kool-Aid. What? Kool-Aid? This tasted nothing like the Kool-Aid my mom made. May I have some more please?

When I got back home after my day with my friend, I went into my mom's pantry and found a packet of Kool-Aid and read the directions. Empty contents into large plastic or glass pitcher. Add 1 cup sugar. Add cold water and ice to make 2 quarts: stir to dissolve. Do not store in metal container.

I asked my mom how much sugar she put in the Kool-Aid when she made it. She said she put in 1/2 a cup. Only half a cup?!? No wonder I did not think the fruity drink was awesome like all the other kids in the world did.

Now that I am older and a mother, I can see the wisdom of my mother's skimping on the sugar. She did not want eight little ones pinging off the walls after drinking super sweet Kool-Aid the way it was meant to be.

1 comment:

  1. We never had Kool-aid either!!! Milk, water, or apple juice!
    I never add the full cup on those rare occasions that there is Kool-aid here, but now the kids are old enough to have figured it out and make their own!

    ReplyDelete