Thursday, November 12, 2009

3 Days of Family Fun

The Colonel, Spud and I spent a long weekend with Yam at the Eagle Family Weekend 2009. Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU) holds a family weekend each year.

After checking into our hotel we made our way to Yam's dorm room. It was near dinner time so we decided to eat at the university cafeteria a few yards away from Yam's dorm (Yam may have wanted to eat somewhere else, but majority rules).

The food was delicious. You could choose from all kinds of food. There was a salad bar, waffle bar, ice cream, hamburgers, pizza, fish, soups, cereal and a dessert bar. For a nominal fee you could eat all you wanted. Spud was instantly sold on college life. As parents who are paying for our college student's meal plan, it was good to know the food we pay for is delicious and plentiful. I had blackened Talapia, rice and green beans. I also hit the ice cream machine. Hey, I had the healthy fish for dinner.

After our fine dining experience we went to the Student Union's lobby to check-in for the family weekend. Upon check-in we were given rubber wristbands. These were our "tickets" to get into the weekend events for free (excluding the 5K Fun Run/Walk... yeah, like that was going to impact us anyway).

We were also given T-shirts commemorating the weekend and a nice tote bag. We soon put the wrist bands to work by going to an FGCU hockey game. The last time I was at a hockey game was back in high school, 30-odd years ago. I did not understand the rules of the game then either. I just know that they are fun to watch.

We met up with two of Yam's friends. Thank goodness Yam reminded us to pack a jacket and long pants because it was chilly in the arena. FGCU was pitted against Life University out of Marietta, Georgia. Both schools claim the eagle as their mascot, so you couldn't just yell, "Go Eagles!!" without some sort of clarification following your cheer.

The FGCU Eagles won the game with a score of 7 to 2. It was exciting to watch, fast-paced with plenty of action. Hockey is a visceral sport for both the players and spectators. Towards the end of the game there were a couple fights that resulted in banishment to the penalty box for the offending players. It was just a matter of could feel all that testosterone on the ice. This was the first hockey game for The Colonel and Spud. We all agreed we would like to watch another hockey game one day. Maybe we will bone-up on the rules of the game before then.

It was late when the game ended and we got back to Yam's dorm. We dropped both kids off; Spud stayed with Yam in her room. He was getting more of a taste of the college life.

End of Day One

Since our family opted out of the "Fun Run" and it's check-in time of 7:00 a.m., we slept in. The next big event was the Eagle Family Weekend Cookout which started at 11:30. We met up with Yam and Spud and headed for the cookout.

We got in line and filled our plates with excellent pulled-pork BBQ, rolls, chips and cole slaw. I had some ice tea with my lunch. It was called Tradewinds, just like my house. A Reggae band was playing as we dined.

After we finished lunch we partook in some of the craft activities available. We all tie dyed a T-shirt.

I washed our shirts after we got back home. They all turned out beautifully. Next Yam and I made some sand frames.

We then went to check out the library. Besides being a beautiful building (sorry, did not take pics...what was I thinking?) it was very impressive inside with its many floors of books, study/meeting rooms and computer stations. From there we went to the FGCU Arts Complex for chocolate tasting and an art show. The chocolate was delicious, but I must admit that the artist's work left a "bad taste in my mouth". I did not care for his work.

We had some time to burn before the Hypnotist/Illusionist, Wayne Hoffman's show that evening, so we went to our hotel and Yam and Spud hit the pool and hot tub while The Colonel and I read our books as we rocked in rocking chairs. Then we also had a delicious dinner at a local restaurant.

Wayne Hoffman was very entertaining. His tricks and illusions were incredible. Right before our eyes he made an opened, empty, semi-crumpled Diet Coke can become like new; unopened, full of Coke again and chilled to boot. He had opened the can at the beginning of his show and was drinking from it throughout the show. If you ever get the chance to see him, do so. He was also very funny. I was able to shake his hand after the show and snap his photo.

After Mr. Hoffman's show we went to the Super Target's Midnight Madness sale. They had kept the store open for FGCU families. We went at 10 p.m., not midnight...that is way past my bedtime.

End of Day Two

At 10:30 the next morning we went to the Eagle Family Weekend Farewell Brunch. It was catered by Jason's Deli. There were all kinds of breakfast and lunch items to choose from as well as coffee, juice and water. The room was nicely decorated.

The university president, Dr. Wilson G. Bradshaw was at the brunch walking around the room. Yam and I spoke to him and had our picture taken with him. He also chatted with The Colonel and Spud. He remembered us all from the meeting we had with him last year through The Blanchard House Museum (a small, local museum we volunteer at and/or are board members of). Dr. Bradshaw is very friendly. I told him he would feature in my blog and he was tickled by it.

After brunch it was time to head for home. We dropped Yam off at her dorm and said our goodbyes. We all agreed we had a great family weekend, both as our own little family and the FGCU family.

End of Day Three


  1. Nice pictures! I'm glad everyone had fun. I can't wait to see you all for Thanksgiving! Love, Anne

  2. it sounds as if you all had a wonderful time. now you can particpate in the yearly "parrothead" gathering in the keys with your tidied shirts. Love Kit

  3. Well you know, you're not an FGCU eagle unless your wardrobe contains at least one tie dyed shirt. :)

  4. Family weekend sounds like a well planned vacation!!

  5. I'll take some of that yummy college dorm food...but I'll pass on the Purvis Young art! Wow, you packed a lot of fun into 3 days!