Sunday, May 14, 2017

My Patriot

(Image  from the Internet)

I was inducted into the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution (NSDAR) on March 5, 2016. I can trace my lineage to Eleazer Ingraham, a patriot of that war.

Eleazer Ingraham was born on January 16, 1743 to Henry and Rachel (Hurlburt) Ingraham in Woodbury, Lirchfield County, Connecticut.  He served in the French and Indian War (1754-1763) with his father.

Eleazer enlisted himself in the Continental Army for the duration of the American Revolutionary War (1775-1783) along with his father Henry. He served under Captain J. Farrand and Colonel Mosely.

In 1776, every able-bodied man in this (Woodbury) or other western towns of Connecticut, between the ages of sixteen and sixty years, was marched to New York by order of General George Washington. Woodbury during the entire war was headquarters of the recruiting service in this part of Connecticut.

On August 6, 1765, Eleazer married Lydia Guthrie. They had nine children. Their son Philo (28 June 1768-21 August 1842) is the child from whom I am descended. Philo married Arvilla Barney around 1800 in New York.

Arvilla is the daughter of William and Jerusha (Jepherson) Barney. William also served in the American Revolutionary War for New Hampshire. I am in the process of submitting the paperwork to the headquarters of the NSDAR in Washington D.C. in hopes of having him officially recognized as my second patriot.

Now, back to Eleazer Ingraham...

Eleazer and his family joined about 60 other families as they traveled and came to an area west of Seneca Lake in Western New York. There they found waterfalls that provided several sites for grist mills and saw mils. Here they formed the first white settlement during the summer of 1788, which they called Jerusalem.

They were followers of a Quaker sect who, seeking to separate themselves for religious reasons from worldly temptations and persecution, were lead by one Jemima Wilkinson.

Image from the Internet

In 1776, Wilkinson, who was 24 years old at the time, contracted typhoid. She suffered a highly fevered state, leaving her bedridden and near death.

Upon recovering, she claimed to have been sent by God to preach his message. She believed that Christ had entered her body during the illness and that she was now neither female nor male. She claimed to be "a holy vessel of Jesus Christ and God and the Holy Spirit". Jemima Wilkinson said that she was the "Public Universal Friend" and never again responded to her original birth name.

There is not much more I know about my patriot at this time. I am still looking for any information I can. I would like to know more about his military career. What battles did he take part in? I hope to know more one day.

Eleazer Ingraham died in New York sometime after the year 1810 (some records have his death year as 1834). Still more research to perform.

Now, if the NSDAR will approve my paperwork for William Barney (it could take up to a year for supplemental patriots), I will have a post about him later (maybe much later). Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment