Sunday, November 25, 2018

Halloween 2018


The Colonel, Yam and I dressed up again for Halloween this year. We always have fun walking downtown and seeing all the kids (and adults) in their costumes. We also hand out candy to the little ones as we walk around.

The Colonel and I had been gathering parts to our costumes for a few months prior to Halloween.

The Colonel's costume was inspired by the character of Richmond on the BBC's show called the I.T. Crowd.

Image from the Internet

We visited the Goodwill store near where Yam used to live. She claimed it was a nice Goodwill and she could always find what she was looking for there. She was right...The Colonel found a suit coat, a white shirt, a top hat and a red "cravat" within minutes of stepping through the door. 


We found his black nails, wig and necklace elsewhere. He ordered his ruby ring and walking stick online a few months prior to Halloween. The Colonel picked out the ruffle material from Jo-Ann Fabrics and I sewed it onto his suit coat sleeves.



Yam was Mary Poppins again this year. As we walked through the streets, she was stopped by several people wanting a picture of/with her. Lots of the older crowd who saw Yam, waved to, smiled at and called out "Mary Poppins" as she walked by them.

I just saw an ad on television for the new Mary Poppins movie. Not sure how I feel about that...some movies should not be remade.

Yam said that her Mary Poppins costume will be her go-to costume, so next year she should get the younger crowd to yell out "Mary Poppins" (that is unless Hollywood completely changes Mary Poppins' look and she will not resemble the old one at all...they do that a lot...mess up a good thing). Yam nailed the Mary Poppins look with her costume...such attention to detail. She has the carpet bag, the parrot-headed umbrella, the finger-less gloves, the hat and coat. From head-to-toe, Yam is a practically-perfect-in-every-way Mary Poppins. 



This Halloween I was...you guessed it...a Mermaid.

When we were in Key West this summer, I purchased two shells for my costume. I also purchased a set of leggings that would make a perfect (walk-able) mermaid's lower half.

In order to appear nude on top, I ordered a flesh-ish toned leotard. When the leotard arrived, I bought some ribbon that was closely matched in color and built my shell bra. I also created a mermaid crown.

I wanted my mermaid to have a pet/friend (think of Ariel and Flounder), so I bought a shark pinata from a party store. I made the shark a spiked collar and a chain leash (the leash was made from the parts of a purse I got at Goodwill).

The bought a blue wig to complete my mermaid costume.



We put our costumes on at Yam's house. I had my leotard and leggings on and when Yam came out of her bedroom and saw me for the first time. She gasped because she thought I was nude. I did not have my shells on yet.

We finished putting our costumes on...


...and headed across the street to The Colonel's parents' house and knocked on their door. When my Favorite-Father-In-Law opened the door and saw me in my costume, I thought he was going to wet himself. He laughed so much and ran to get his camera. Based on his reaction, I knew I was in for a treat (no pun intended) as I walked around town.

I got plenty of second looks and side-glances (mainly from the men) as I walked past. One old man asked if he could play the shell game with me. I had my picture taken and had pictures taken with me. One young woman said she loved my crown and a little girl liked petting my shark.

The Colonel and I are already thinking about next year's costumes. It is never too early to start putting together a costume. You never know where or when you will find the perfect piece to your ensemble. We just have to decide who/what we want to be as we walk around and hand candy out to the little ones.
 

1 comment:

  1. OMG! Love all the costumes, such attention to detail and great imagination! Jenn

    ReplyDelete