Thursday, March 21, 2019

Throwback Thursday


This is a photograph of me in one of my high school years. I want to say 1977, my sophomore year, because I am "dressed-out" for a Powder Puff Football game later that evening. My sisters Kathleen (a senior) and Lori (a junior) were also on the team that year.

We got to wear a jersey belonging to one of the high school's football players (the jersey does not look too big on me but it was. There was a lot of it tucked into my jeans and when I lifted my arms up, there was quite a surplus of fabric exposed). I chose number 79. I did not choose that jersey based on the football player, I chose it because it would be the year I would graduate from high school. If I recall correctly, number 79 belonged to Wally Jordan. He went to the same catholic grade school I did. He was a year ahead of me.

On a sad note, I searched for Wally (Walter F. Jordan) online and discovered that he passed away on February 18, 2014. He was only 54 years old. His obituary stated that he was an All-State defense tackle and football captain at our high school. He was a 4-year letter-man and he was an All-Conference defense tackle at Ball State University.

As I stated before, I was dressed and ready for a Powder Puff Football game in the above photograph. My team was pitted against another all-girl team. We would face-off during half-time for that evening's football game.

I do not remember if my team won (part of me thinks we did not) but I do remember wearing two little red flags. The flags were dangling from my belt. We could not tackle one another in Powder Puff Football. To signify a tackle, we pulled free a player's flag. When both of  your flags were pulled free, you were out of the game. Some of the girls were a bit aggressive. I remember some coming away from the game with scrapes, cuts and scratches.

We girls took our game just as seriously as the guys did that evening but I am sure a football field full of girls running around, passing/catching a football and grasping at flags was very entertaining for those in the stands.

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry to hear that Wally Jordan passed away. I helped him cheat in Geometry class, which makes me laugh. I can't feel too guilty "helping" him since Geometry and I never understood each other!
    I read that Mr Shephard died recently too- age 91. A ripe old age considering the years my fellow driving students and I may have shaved off his life.

    I do NOT remember you playing Powder Puff football! I wonder if in these enlightened modern times, if an ALL GIRL football event is even allowed.....

    ReplyDelete