Saturday, March 28, 2009

Mermaids

When I was younger, my family had a lifetime membership at a local pool. In the summer we would go to that pool where I would pretend I was a mermaid along with a couple of my sisters. I think I have always been enchanted by the idea of mermaids and the possibility of their existence. I am a sucker for any (well-done) mermaid movie. I recently visited Weeki Wachee Springs, Florida with my husband and children where mermaids, real ones, abound. The day we visited was the 60th anniversary, to the day, of the opening of Weeki Wachee's mermaid shows. We were able to see amazing underwater feats like eating fruit and drinking Grapette cola and beautiful, graceful moves performed by the mermaids. The shows have not changed much in these 60 years; I probably saw the same show Elvis (the skinny, hot Elvis) did when he visited the springs. I loved it! I recommend visiting the mermaids whenever you are in Florida where you will get a great taste of Old Florida. Next time you watch the movie JAWS, pay close attention to the girl at the beginning of the movie, the one who is jerked under water by the Great White, she was a Weeki Wachee mermaid. My husband very thoughtfully surprised me last Christmas with a mermaid movie called Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid which was filmed at Weeki Wachee Springs in 1948.

Living in Florida helps me to be able to continue this "love affair" with mermaids. I have a sinking suspicion that mermaid themed rooms would not seem as natural or acceptable in let's say, Casper, Wyoming. I have a bathroom in my house decorated with a mermaid theme and I have mermaids in their various forms, tastefully strewn about the house. Mermaids in moderation. My most recent mermaid purchase is an interesting vase I got while at an art festival. I have filled her with pretty, tropical flowers (fake, as I do not have a great green thumb) and a bit of artificial red coral.


No comments:

Post a Comment