Saturday, May 30, 2009

Crazy Corn

I had my husband's family here recently. They came for my daughter's high school graduation. They, my husband and I are all originally from the Midwest. Corn features heavily in the lives of Midwesterners. I have planted it, hoed it, picked it, shucked it and ate it many times for many years.

My mother-in-law, sister-in-law and I made a trip to Wal-Mart where we saw some corn for sale. Our Midwestern roots would not allow us to pass it up (sale or not). We chose 10 ears to take back for dinner that evening.

It was time to prepare the corn for dinner, so I took it out to my back porch, sat down and started to shuck the ears with my mother-in-law's help. The shucking was ordinary and predictable (remember I am a semi-pro at shucking corn) until the final ear's husks were pulled off...

...this is what was hiding underneath...

An ear of corn with a "Parasitic Twin"!

In all my years of corn wrestling I have never seen an ear of corn like this. I was taken aback by it and quickly showed it off to everyone. All of the other "Seasoned Midwesterners" had never seen anything like it either. I knew this event was destined to become "Blog Fodder".

I separated the "twins" with my sharpest kitchen knife, disposed of the smaller "twin" prior to cooking the corn.

My husband ate the larger one and said it tasted quite ordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment