Friday, September 10, 2010

Hobo Packs: A Culinary Blast From the Past

Another food-centric blog entry?

First hot dogs, then guacamole, now Hobo Packs?

When ideas for blog entries present themselves, you gotta run with them.

I look through my cookbooks to get menu ideas for the upcoming week. I make my grocery list based on these menu ideas and this helps to curb any impulse buying and food waste.

One day I saw a recipe for Hobo Packs. Hobo Packs consist of meat and vegetables cooked in aluminum foil. I thought this looked easy and fun to make for dinner and the clean up would be a breeze. Hobo Pack dinners were a popular item in the 50s and 60s. The Colonel said he used to have them for dinner once in a while when he was a kid.

I bought some ground beef and made it into patties. I then seasoned the patties with Montreal Steak Seasoning, Worcestershire sauce and B-B-Q sauce. Next I peeled and sliced some potatoes and carrots and placed them with the beef patty. Finally I sliced some red onion and placed it on the meat and veggies.

I then folded the foil to create a sealed pack.

I placed the four packs onto a baking sheet and put them in a pre-heated 350 degree oven and baked them for 45 minutes.

When opening the Hobo Packs be careful of the escaping steam.

I served my Hobo Packs on dinner plates, but for less cleanup, eat them right out of the foil pack.

The beauty of Hobo Packs for dinner is the ease of preparation, the quick and minimal cleanup and everyone can personalize their own pack.

The Colonel enjoyed this culinary blast from his past so much he wanted them the next day.

This retro repast has made it onto my menu list for future food fare.

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of my 4-H camp days........

    ReplyDelete
  2. We made these at Girl Scout camp...I always loved them! I make them with chicken and salmon nowadays!
    Bonnie Jo

    ReplyDelete