Saturday, September 4, 2010

How My Lunch Triggered a Happy Childhood Memory

Last weekend Spud's NJROTC unit held its annual picnic. It was a beautiful day beach side. There was no rain at this year's picnic.

After the picnic there were still plenty of hot dogs and hamburgers left uncooked so they were divided amongst the picnickers and I now have some hamburgers in my freezer and hot dogs in my fridge.

I decided to have a hot dog for my lunch today.

I placed an all-beef hot dog in a bun, loosely wrapped it in a paper towel and microwaved it for 30 seconds. When I unwrapped the hot dog I was immediately thrown back in time, by my old factory nerves, to the Hot Dog Days of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel (OLMC) Catholic School.

Hot Dog Day at OLMC was special. I don't remember the frequency of the scheduled Hot Dog Days, I just remember there didn't seem to be enough of them.

On Hot Dog Day morning, Mom would give us our quarters instead our packed lunches. When you were in your classroom that morning your teacher would take a count of how many hot dogs would be needed that day for lunch. Along with your hot dog order, you had a choice of white or chocolate milk (hardly anyone would order white milk), a small bag of popcorn (and if you were lucky enough or rich enough, because they cost a bit extra) an ice cream sandwich. If I remember correctly, 50 cents would buy your hot dog, popcorn and milk.

The school would smell wonderful near lunchtime with the delicious aromas of the hot dogs and popcorn. The orders were delivered to the classrooms and lunchtime would take on a carnival like atmosphere. Hot Dog Day was always something I looked forward too.

I have some more hot dogs in the fridge and I am looking forward to being transported again to the happy memory of OLMC Hot Dog Day when I next zap and unwrap my lunch.


4 comments:

  1. I also remember those "hotdog" days, they were always on a Thursday and the 8th grade class was assigned the detail, oh and if you were one of the lucky ones to find a ticket in your bag of popcorn you traded it in for icecream......thanks for the memory sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hot dogs sound delicious right about now. I'm glad you guys had fun at the picnic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was walking through the tunnels of the state house, and the snack stand was cooking hotdogs. The smell also reminded me of school days-- no cold or hot packs from which to choose! Actually, we dined on hotdogs last night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it funny how as kids we got excited by the smallest things, and now we remember them (if we're lucky). I went to Catholic school as well. My only food-related memory was during Lent when the cafeteria would take the meat out of the sandwiches and serve them with nothing but cheese an lettuce. I always forgot about it until I bit into my sandwich and remembered "Friday!" Aaaarrrrggghhh!

    ReplyDelete