Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Spars and Stars

Once, my baby sister and I used a tape recorder to record an episode of Star Trek. I think it was The Tholian Web episode. We then transcribed the dialogue and eventually acted out the whole show (we also would do the same with a Little House on the Prairie episode). I played Capt. Kirk and Spock (being the oldest), my sister played Dr. 'Bones' McCoy (her favorite character) and one of our younger brothers played Scotty (his favorite character). We made communicators and phasers out of pieces of wood nailed together.

We all liked Star Trek, but my baby sister was a huge fan. She'd gotten all kinds of Star Trek items for birthdays and Christmas. She had action figures of Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty, Uhura, models of the U.S.S. Enterprise and a shuttle craft.

One year for Christmas she asked for the soundtrack of Star Trek...

Christmas morning came and under the tree was a package with my baby sister's name on it that could not be mistaken for anything else but an album.

With great excitement she tore at the wrapping paper, she spied the letter S, "Santa" had left exactly what she'd asked for, the Star Trek soundtrack album! She tore more of the paper away and when the last piece fell to the carpeted floor, she sat still, in her hands was a soundtrack album...for the movie...Spartacus.

Spartacus? What's a Spartacus?

Our mom, seeing the disappointment on my baby sister's crestfallen face, said she was very sorry that "Santa" had made a mistake and that she would get a Star Trek album as soon as possible. She made good on her promise.

While my sister waited for the Star Trek album to show up she played the Spartacus soundtrack. Our sister Lori and I would listen too. It turned out that the soundtrack for the movie Spartacus was excellent! We would sit and listen to it, dance to it and be totally enthralled by composer Alex North's musical genius (he wrote the music for Unchained Melody and the score for the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, to mention a couple. He was a prolific composer). His music elicits great movements of emotion. I'd love to listen to that album again.

Sometimes a little mistake can lead you down a road well worth the traveling and your life is made richer by the detour.

What was the impetus causing this little trip down memory lane?

I have been watching Spartacus: Blood and Sand and Spartacus: Gods of the Arena lately and it made me think of the Spartacus soundtrack my sister got that one Christmas long ago. I have never seen the 1960 Spartacus movie starring Kirk Douglas. I have put it in my Netflix queue. When I watch it I will be paying close attention to Alex North's musical score.

4 comments:

  1. I can picture the whole clan playing Star Trek. Those really were the good old days.
    kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. My memory has come up blank on this one. I remember Jennifer was the Trekkie of the family but didn't realize you both taped recorded the shows, wow how funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I still have my Star Trek action figures, USS Enterprise phone, USS Enterprise "doll house", which depicts the bridge (with movable captain chair) and the beam up & down room. I have to say, though, I do not attend any conventions, but my toys are still cool. Re-enacting Star Trek was the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a hilarious post. My 11-year-old daughter had a sleepover this week and they spent the entire time making up plays and dances. Boys never do this. My sister and I knew all the words to the Grease soundtrack, danced ourselves silly and annoyed the crap out of our parents

    ReplyDelete