Sunday, May 15, 2011

19 Year Old Mother(hood)

The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new. ---Rajneesh

I've just celebrated my 19th Mother's Day!

That is a pretty awesome feat for someone who (foolishly) thought, when she was younger, that she wanted to "break the glass ceiling", be married to her career only and never be a mother (along comes The Colonel, along comes marriage) and when she did marry and discovered that she did want to be a mother after all, that she would need medical intervention to help her start her family (along comes Yam and Spud in a baby carriage).

My wonderful day started out with my son and daughter surprising me with some beautiful carnations and a lovely card.

Yam and Spud asked me where I wanted to go for lunch, they were "footin' the bill". I decided on a local waterside restaurant called Harpoon Harry's (The Colonel would lunch with his mother, father and sister elsewhere).

We arrived at the restaurant a little after 11:00, so we were able get a booth right along the water. The kids had burgers and I had a turkey reuben with sweet potato fries. The food was yummy, but sitting across from my two children was what I enjoyed most about lunch (the fact that they bought my lunch was nice too).

The restaurant is within the same complex as some nice little shops, so we did a little window shopping (mainly Yam and I, Spud suffered in silence, what a good son).

After shopping, we walked along the river's edge. We walked for about an hour and on the way back to the car we stopped at a little playground along the river. Yam wanted to swing, so she did while I sat in the swing next to her. Spud opted out and sat in the shade under some palm trees and once again waited patiently for Yam and I.

We made it back to the car, Yam drove us home and when I got home I took a cat nap on the couch...nice.

As I was napping, The Colonel went out and brought some dinner home. I didn't have to cook on Mother's Day...very nice.

I thank God for giving me what I thought I never wanted, a husband and children, and ignoring the foolish thoughts of that young girl I once was.

3 comments:

  1. Dear wonder sister of mine,
    You are a great human, daughter, sister, wife and mother. You are in good company, our mother is great, my wife is a great mother to our children. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a wonderful day sister. I enjoyed eating at the above eatery, via custumed children.

    ReplyDelete