Wednesday, April 15, 2020

MErmaid

By now, you all should know about my "Mermaid Mania".

Pre-COVID-19, The Colonel and I were scheduled to go down to Key West for the 2020 Key West Mermaid Festival held on July 1st through the 5th. We had a cute little cottage rental lined up as well as the Key West Express boat trip tickets purchased for the rides down and back. I was going to pack and only wear my mermaid themed t-shirts. We had to cancel all aspects of our Key West trip because of the COVID-19 crisis. Key West is closed and who know for how long?

Also Pre-COVID-19, I had started to look into the Sirens of the Deep Mermaid Camp at Weeki Wachee Springs State Park. It is a two day camp for adults ages 30 and up and it costs $450. At the camp, you experience what it is like to be an underwater performer at Weeki Wachee Springs. Each day you'd participate in underwater ballet training sessions and learn the basic moves of the Weeki Wachee Mermaids. You would have a behind the scenes look at what it takes to put on an underwater show and what the daily responsibilities are of being a mermaid. All camp trainers are previous Weeki Wachee Mermaids, who volunteer their time for the camp.


A visit to the website informed me that all camps are full for 2020...I took too long to "look into" participating in this camp. With the COVID-19 issues, who knows if the camps will even take place this year? I will have to wait until January 2021 to check on the new camp dates.

But I digress...the main theme for this blog post is about one of my Christmas presents from last year. It was given to me by my dear friend in Indiana. We've been friends since the 9th grade. She always gives me the best gifts. She is very talented. She can sew, knit, weave, draw, paint, garden...I could go on...

This is what I received from my friend for Christmas...


...ME as a MERMAID!

My very talented friend did not draw this picture, her very talented daughter drew it (we know where she gets her talent). My friend commissioned her daughter to draw this caricature of me as a mermaid for my Christmas present. Her daughter is in college studying art and she recently held a summer job where she drew caricatures of visitors to the park.

My Christmas present arrived in the mail, in a tube. I wondered what could be inside that festively-wrapped tube? I thought maybe it was a pretty, watercolor picture, painted by my friend (she is very good at it). When I finally opened up the tube on Christmas morning, I was surprised and thrilled beyond measure! ME AS A MERMAID! Like I said earlier, my friend always gives me the best gifts!!

I have the caricature drawing framed and hanging in my "art studio" (aka Spud's old room). I love it and I love my friend's thoughtfulness behind it! It is the perfect addition to my mermaid addiction!

1 comment: