Friday, April 10, 2020

The Birdie Marks the Spot

I am always reading a book and usually it is an historical fiction book. I like to learn something as I am entertained.

I have bookshelves full of books I have been wanting to read and now with the COVID-19 pandemic upon us, I have more time to devote to this endeavor (I just have to chose which book I want to read next).

Because I like reading books (real hold-in-your-hand, turn-the-paper-pages books), I like book marks too. Not just the paper kind you can get for free at your local bookstore, but hand-made or unique ones.

I love the origami ones that Yam made me.


This one is an actual, tiny, painting. Reminds me of my favorite French Impressionists. I forget where I bought it.


This one is made of wood. I bought it at an arts & crafts festival.


I even made a "Ross Poldark" one myself for when I read the Poldark series.


I like my bookmarks to be made of sturdy, lasting materials. When I have an old wire-bound notebook that has a plastic front and/or back and all the pages are used up, I make some bookmarks out of the plastic.


I had a little, plastic, wire-bound note card book that was empty of cards on hand. I just couldn't throw away that plastic. I didn't want to cut the plastic into plain, traditional bookmark shapes, so I began to look around the house to see if something could inspire me.

This is what inspired me...


A few years ago, while I was back in Indiana for a visit, I went to lunch and did some shopping with a dear friend of mine. We saw these birds in a store window. I took a picture of them and told my friend that when I returned to Florida, I would recreate the birds. I did. I made them out of the plastic covers of an old notebook and hung them in my kitchen window.

I thought what a perfect pattern for a book mark. I had to reduce the size of the bird for the bookmark though (and because my plastic piece was smaller).



My bird bookmark works perfectly and I love how his little wing helps him grip the page to keep my place in the book.

1 comment:

  1. Those are darling bird bookmarks. I read mostly ebooks, except for a few authors I'll buy the hard cover. Jenn

    ReplyDelete