Saturday, August 14, 2010

Perfect Pineapple

There is nothing like a fresh pineapple...NOTHING. The fresh pineapple we had for our dessert tonight was perfect. It was a homegrown pineapple from our octogenarian friend, John.

Spud and Yam went to John's house to help him hook up some electronic equipment. He wanted to pay them in cash but they said that was not necessary, they were just glad to help (The Colonel and I must be doing something right). John said he could not have them leave empty handed, so he had Spud cut one of the pineapples in his front yard to take home as payment.

The kitchen smelled fruity and sweet as The Colonel and I came back from our Home Depot trip and it was all due to John's little pineapple sitting on the counter.

The smell of the pineapple told us that it would be nothing short of Ambrosia.

After we ate our dinner The Colonel cut the pineapple and handed out pieces of the golden fruit.

That first bite (as well as all those that followed) was indeed worthy of the palates of the Greek Gods.

John's pineapple was many times more sweet and delicious than any fresh pineapple I have ever purchased from the grocery store.

I called John after we ate the pineapple to let him know that it was the best pineapple we had ever eaten.

He said our pineapple was a descendant of a pineapple that he bought two years ago from the grocery. After he ate the grocery pineapple, he cut the top off (along with 1 to 2 inches of the pineapple attached) and planted it. He told me to do the same with our pineapple and in about two years we should have another delicious one. So I did.

John and I agreed what made this pineapple better than the grocery ones was that this was ripe at the time Spud harvested it and the ones at the grocery are picked when they are still unripe. They have to be picked early for shipping purposes.

John said he didn't give his growing pineapples any special treatment, as a matter of fact, he said he doesn't have a green thumb. I was thrilled to hear that, because I don't either and if John can grow a pineapple worthy of Greek Gods and their palates then I have a decent chance at doing the same.

I am counting down the two years until I have another one of these on my counter top.

Maybe we don't have to wait two years...John did say he had two more growing...

1 comment:

  1. I can see a "pineapple party--2012", and I can see my name on the guest list!

    ReplyDelete