Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Spud the Senior

School is now in session for Spud. Yesterday was his first day as a senior.

MY BABY IS A SENIOR!!

I know this year will fly by. I can already see him in his cap and gown, walking across the stage and taking his diploma in hand.

Yam's walk across the stage is still very fresh in my mind and she will start her second year of college in two weeks.

It is our tradition to take pictures of the kids on their first day of school (college excluded).

This year's picture of Spud.

I am thinking back to the days when my siblings and I would get ready for our first day of the new school year.

When we were in grade school we did not have to agonize (mainly my sisters and I, it's a girl thing) over what to wear on that first day. We went to a Catholic school and therefore had a uniform to wear (except the boys, which I thought wasn't fair and still don't). You had to pick out your book bag or back pack and lunch box and that was cause for some excitement and maybe some angst. I remember my aqua colored book bag and H.R. Puff 'n' Stuff lunchbox.

After grade school we went to a public Jr. High and high school. No uniforms.

Now came the time to worry about and pre-plan our first-day-of-school outfits. It was crucial what outfit you put together...you know, first impressions and all. The current fashions played a big part in what you would decide to wear. Bell Bottoms, Gaucho Pants, cowl neck sweaters, etc.

Your hair and makeup had to be flawless (I never seemed to be able to achieve perfection in either).

Once you had on the perfect first-day-of-school outfit with perfect hair and makeup, it was time to wait for the school bus to arrive.

There were always butterflies in our stomachs as we waited. I had one sister in particular whose gag reflex was set on hair-trigger that day due to her nerves. Many of my siblings, me included, have sensitive gag-reflexes. Just the mere mention of, let's say, a hair being found in one's dinner can bring on a strong gag. I am trying not to gag as I type this.

The first day of Jr. High and high school was usually great fun. It was good to see your friends again, met your teachers, become familiar with your schedule, your route through the hallways and your new locker (which would later feature in many inadequacy dreams for everyone...not finding your locker and when/if you do, not remembering the combination).

Spud said the first day of his Senior Year was a good one.

My wish is that the rest of his Senior Year will be too.

2 comments:

  1. It's equal opportunity now. Boys and girls must wear uniforms. I, too, remember my "first days", and those memories marry up with your reflections. What about trying to achieve the perfect hairdo without electricty being that there was an "oil crisis"? Remember the oil crisis?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes sister I remembaer the oil shortage, it was during my VU days. First day of school for me meant the smell of new books, shoes and undies (not the smell) but NEW ones!

    ReplyDelete