Saturday, September 5, 2009

New School Year + Students = Cold season

One aspect of the new school year I never look forward to is the bringing home of germs. It seems to be inevitable.

Spud started coughing soon after the NJROTC picnic. My immediate thought was the H1N1 virus. No, just a bad cold thank God.

Spud soon becomes like "Typhoid Mary" and spreads his newly acquired germs around the homestead despite all efforts not to do so. There was plenty of hand-washing, coughing and sneezing into facial tissues and elbows, but to no avail.

I soon exhibit a little cough, which then morphs into a full-blown cold. Three days later The Colonel gets the cough. He rarely gets sick, so this cold is hitting him hard. He never naps, says they are for babies (I love a good nap), but he did take one the other day. Like I say, it is hitting him hard.

Most colds last seven to ten days. We are taking extra dietary supplements like Echinacea, Goldenseal and vitamin C in hopes that they will help shorten the duration of our afflictions. I sure hope that it works. I have places to go and people to see.

I have laid in supplies of cold and flu meds, dietary supplements and Kleenex. My arsenal will hopefully hold off any more illnesses that try to make it over the wall. The school year has just started and we still have the snowbirds to worry about. They always bring germs down with them. They typically come down in October and leave in March.

Sure hope I have enough supplies.

1 comment:

  1. Carmelites prefer to keep a cold and flu at bay, I don't think we have many snowbirds flocking to winter nest in our neck of the woods. 2nd in line

    ReplyDelete