Monday, February 8, 2010

The Space Shuttle Endeavor-STS 130

4 AM.

I usually do not get up this early voluntarily. I remember two occasions getting up early (again not voluntarily) and it resulted in my giving birth to my daughter and then two years later my son. This early morning there was no baby involved (there would have to be another star in the East for that to happen).

The Colonel and I planned this early awakening. We set our alarm so that we could be up in time to glimpse a bit of history; the last scheduled night launch in the space shuttle program!


This is what the launch looked like from the Kennedy Space Center on Florida's east coast and this is what it looked like from the upper deck of my back porch on Florida's west coast.

Maybe not as impressive visually but still as historical. The space shuttle Endeavor was travelling away from us on a NE route and we had 140 miles of the Florida Peninsula between us.

The Endeavor will be on a 13-day mission to the International Space Center and will deliver a new module and an attached cupola.

As exciting as watching space shuttle history unfold right before my eyes was, I found it easy to crawl back into bed and fall back asleep to catch a couple of winks before I had to be up again at 6 AM to see Spud off to school (by the way, I crawl back into bed after Spud left and grabbed a few more winks).

2 comments:

  1. Nothing like a gigantic firework display, what a great experience. sis K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so envious. A launch is something Tom and I want to see someday. I am thrilled you got to see it and love the photos you took!

    kim

    ReplyDelete