Saturday, July 18, 2009

Sister, Sister

Two of my four sisters came for a little visit...we had a great time...

Cindy and Kit came to Florida to visit our Uncle and Aunt (who are only a couple years older than Cindy) and to visit me and my family. They were going to be here for a quick two days, then head back to our Uncle and Aunt's, but we packed a lot into those two days.

It was their first time here. After the grand tour of my home and putting their things inside Tarpon Cottage (the guest quarters), we decided to hit the local bookstore to see if we could find anything to maybe take with us to the beach the next day. We came back home with arms full of new books and to a delicious dinner cooked by my Hero. Dinner eaten and the kitchen cleaned, we headed out the door again to take a little trip to Ponce de Leon Park in town, for sunset photo ops. We got a couple of nice shots...

Next day's beach destination was near Boca Grande on Gasparilla Island. On our way there we passed through a little rain, but once we got to the beach it was sunny and beautiful. The lighthouse was closed for tours, but we still walked around it and the lighthouse keeper's house, peeking in the windows. We walked up and down the beach near the lighthouse looking for pretty seashells.

All that walking made us hungry, so we drove to a nearby beach side restaurant. After lunch we walked out onto the beach, set up the umbrella and chairs and raced into the waters of the Gulf of Mexico. We never once thought about the old "wait-one-hour-after-eating-before-you-swim" rule. Is that even remotely based on sound science?

We had so much fun in the water. It was warm as bathwater. We jumped over waves, bobbed on top of waves, body surfed the waves and laughed as we were pushed by the tide and had to swim our way back to the little section of beach we staked with the umbrella and chairs. My sisters did a little beach combing as we took a break from the wiles of the Gulf of Mexico.

We played in the gulf again before it was time to head back home. On our way home we had some delicious ice cream from the Loose Caboose and did some shopping at Fisherman's Village.

After dinners and showers, I took my sisters to the top of the Wyvern Hotel for a girl's night out. We had drinks and lots of laughs over childhood memories and made more memories in the process.


To top the evening off my sisters and I hit the hot tub when we got back home. I slept like a baby...the day at the beach, the wine, the spa...better than any sleeping pill.

My sisters left for Miami the next day after lunch.

They want to come back and stay longer. I would like that...There is more we could do and more memories we could make.


3 comments:

  1. I love this post! You all look great! That last photo is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure had a fantastic time visiting and all. Next time will be longer. Love the pics. Love to all. Kit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sisters, I wish I could have been there. Maybe the next trip! Love, youngest Sis.

    ReplyDelete