Saturday, April 18, 2009

Doppelganger

Is there some law written stating that every high school in the United States must put the book To Kill a Mockingbird on its required reading list and every student has to read it before they can graduate? I waded through, tolerated and even "cliff-noted" some of the required reading books, but I loved To Kill a Mockingbird. I have a copy in my personal library and have read it again many times since high school. It is a well-written, easy-reading book.

I think Harper Lee's characters, Scout, Jem, Dill, Atticus and Boo Radley were what made it an easy book to bring to the silver screen. I believe it is the best movie made that is based on a book. I love the movie. I have a DVD copy in my video library and watch it every now and again. The fact that a young and handsome Gregory Peck stars in it certainly makes it an enjoyable watch too.

My daughter read the book two years ago in her Sophomore year and we have watched the movie together a couple of times. After watching the movie she made the following observation...that a photo of me when I was about seven years old closely resembled the actress who played Scout...my Doppelganger? You be the judge.


Me




Mary Badham as Scout

1 comment:

  1. Jill- I love that movie, too, but reluctantly admit to never having read the book! I must put it on my reading list! And, yes, I do think you could be Scout!!(or Scout could be you). Cute picture.
    kim

    ReplyDelete