Tuesday, April 7, 2009

To Have and To Hold

In my mailbox today, amongst the bills, letters from charities wanting my money and the ever present junk mail, was a graduation announcement...or so I thought.


I have friends who have a child getting ready to graduate from high school next month (just like me and I still cannot believe it), and I assumed that was what was inside the beautiful, cream colored envelope.

I was surprised, nay shocked, when the envelope contained the wedding invitation of the daughter of one of my high school friends. I thought, surely I am not old enough to have a child who is old enough for marriage. I am old enough.

I am old enough chronologically. If I had gotten married right out of high school, started a family right away and that child did the same, I could be a grandma now and possibly a great grandma before I'd know it.

I know my shock upon receiving the wedding invitation is misplaced, logically, but emotionally it is well founded. I am not ready to be a mother-in-law or a grandma...heck, I am just getting used to the idea that my daughter is heading off to college soon. Let's get the graduation announcements out first. There is plenty of time yet for her wedding invitations.


No comments:

Post a Comment